And now, because it's almost Friday, something completely shallow and silly.
I'm starting to see lists of "Top 10 Things to Get Your Mom for Mother's Day" floating around the internets. We have the most delightful "no gifts" Mother's/Father's day tradition, which I really love. (Really. For-reals. No hinting implied here, promise.) On our respective days, the parent being honored gets to sleep in and choose the day's activity. The boys usually bring me flowers. It's simple and awesome and I don't want it to change.
But, at the same time, I do enjoy a good wish list. It's sort of a childish game, but whenever I see something that I want but don't have the cash for, I put it on my Amazon wish list. Then, when I find twenty bucks on the street or someone asks me what I want for my birthday it's all right there.
And, of course, some of those things that would be impulse purchases don't seem so important after a little time has passed, so sometimes things get taken care of that way, too.
That's all to say that, even though we don't do gifts for Mother's Day, I see no reason why that should keep me from the joy of putting together a fun list, right? Right! And maybe I'll give someone else a good idea in the process? Maybe?
Any-who, in no particular order....
1. Some bling. I think traditional mother's rings are often kinda ugly, partly because it's so rare that a family lucks into a good birthstone combo. But I love this idea! Also, these monogram necklaces. I'm usually a silver jewelry girl, but I actually love the rose gold.
2. Instruction and supplies for a new crafty project. Has everyone seen the beautiful rope baskets that Amanda has been making? I wanna learn to do that! As Kim says, sometimes rope is better than flowers.
3. Or instruction and supplies for a new kitchen project. I checked out Fermented Vegetables from the library last week, and I think it's one I'm going to have to buy. Along with a fermenting crock, of course.
4. Splurge-y beauty goodies. My make-up "routine" (way too formal of a word there) centers around making my face look like I've had more than four hours of sleep. To that end, I'm loving this and this, both of which I got samples of in my Birchbox last month. (And hey, a Birchbox subscription could be fun, too.)
5. Pretty family photos. I saw these last week when hunting around for presents for some other mothers I know, and quickly thought of how sweet it would be to have one to tuck into my purse with a photo of each kiddo for when I get lonely for them. Also, did you know that Phoebe Wahl does custom family portraits?!? *Insert fangirl squeal.*
8. Or maybe just a really good book. I keep trying to get this one from the library with no luck, but (like the rest of the free world) I love Cheryl Strayed and want to read everything she's ever written and have her babies and stuff.
9. Or a good bag. So far I've shown restraint, but one night I'm going to get liquored up and push the buy button on one of these. I just can't help the gooey way I feel inside when I see a purse that's well-made, pretty, and still practical.
10. And, last but not least, this t-shirt. *Insert second fangirl squeal.*
Does your family do gifts for Mother's Day? Or do you keep it more simple?