The idea? Read five books that have been made into movies and then watch at least two of the movies--all by February 28, 2009.
I decided to pick movie/book combos where I haven't seen/read at least one or the other. (After all, if I had just picked Harry Potter 1-5 what would have been the point?) I couldn't quite narrow myself down to five, so--since there are six months in the challenge anyway--I picked six movie/book pairs. I'm also planning to watch all the movies instead of just two. (Why? I don't know, why not?) My list....
- The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper and Seeker: The Dark Is Rising
- Brokeback Mountain by Annie Proulx and Brokeback Mountain
- The Constant Gardener by John Le Carré and The Constant Gardener
- About a Boy by Nick Hornby and About a Boy
- What Dreams May Come by Richard Matheson and What Dreams May Come
- M. Butterfly by David Henry Hwang and M. Butterfly
I haven't seen the movie or read the books of the first three. (Yes, I know, the fact that I haven't seen Brokeback Mountain yet--given that it's practically a cultural icon and I'm a big Heath Ledger fan--is a little shocking.) I've seen (and love) both About a Boy and What Dreams May Come, but I haven't read the books. I've read the play M. Butterfly (and it's one of my favorites) but I've never seen the movie (which I think I'm going to have to order on VHS, because I can't find a DVD version anywhere).
First up for September will be Brokeback Mountain. Follow the link above it you're interested in joining in!