Orange Shortbread Cookies (as adapted by Nice SIL from Bon Appetit)
Makes about 20
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons (packed) grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3 tablespoons whipping cream (we used plain milk to no ill effect)
- 8 ounces double chocolate chips (such as Ghirardelli)
Position rack in center of oven; preheat to 350°F. Butter and flour large baking sheet. Whisk first 3 ingredients in medium bowl. Beat butter, cream cheese, sugar, orange peel, and orange extract in large bowl until fluffy. Beat in yolk, then cream. Add flour mixture; beat until dough comes together in moist clumps. Stir in chocolate chips.
Drop dough by generous tablespoonfuls onto baking sheet, spacing 3/4 inch apart. Using moistened fingertips, flatten each to 1/2-inch-thick round. Bake cookies until golden, about 8 minutes. Transfer to rack; cool. (Can be made 3 days ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.)
Alternatively, you can roll these out and cut them into shapes. Also, feel free to leave out the chocolate chips, and dip the cookies in melted chocolate after they've cooled a bit--they're great either way!