Preparation Time: 20 minutes
(Makes about 15 cupcakes)
- 16 ounces (1 pound) (454 grams) of semisweet chocolate, roughly chopped
- ½ cup (1 stick) plus 2 tablespoons (146 grams total) of unsalted butter
- 5 large eggs separated
- Put chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl and set over a pan of simmering water (the bottom of the bowl should not touch the water) and melt, stirring often.
- While your chocolate butter mixture is cooling, butter your pan and line with a parchment circle then butter the parchment. (If you're making cupcakes, just lightly grease the cupcake pan. I recommend not using paper liners.)
- Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites and put into two medium/large bowls.
- Whip the egg whites in a medium/large grease free bowl until stiff peaks are formed (do not over whip or the cake will be dry).
- With the same beater beat the egg yolks together.
- Add the egg yolks to the cooled chocolate.
- Fold in 1/3 of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture and follow with remaining 2/3rds. Fold until no white remains without deflating the batter.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, the batter should fill the pan 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake for 25 minutes at 375F/190C or until an instant read thermometer reads 140F/60C. If you do not have an instant read thermometer, the top of the cake will look similar to a brownie and a cake tester will appear wet.
- Cool cake on a rack for 10 minutes then unmold.