I'm not very good at "garden design". I generally just move things around until they look "right"--often ripping out plants and moving large rocks several times in the same weekend. (Ask Sweet Husband about that...actually don't, I still owe him big time!)
A few weekends ago, I decided I needed some kind of barrier between the garden part of the yard and the (ever smaller) part that's still lawn. I didn't want to spend a lot of money, therefore natural materials seemed to be the way to go. But rocks alone--which we have a lot of--weren't enough of a barrier.
Then we had a big storm and a neighbor down the way lost a branch off of her tree. Then we went to Nice Friends' house in the country and took a few dozen more sticks from their burn pile.
From there it was just an investment of time, garden twine, and about a dozen long garden stakes. I drove the stakes into the ground and tied my posts to them. A little more tying and I had cross pieces too. So far, it's withstood at least a couple of pretty good thunderstorms--I think it's sturdy.
The only mistake I made--and we'll see if it really is a mistake in a few months when everything is blooming--is that I fell prey to the garden center when choosing flowers to plant behind the fence. Instead of planting a big mass of one flower, I planted one each of twenty flowers. I was going for pretty country mix. I may get a disjointed mess.
But if it is, that will give me something to do better next year....